Sunday, September 18, 2005

Grandma told me...


Grandma told me...
Originally uploaded by Shavar.
By Shavar
Sickly, she said, "Have a good time while y'all here." Ah, I missed my hometown. My birthplace. The South Bronx, New York. It's where all my family is. Way across country from me! This shot was a few blocks from my hotel. I went to see my grandmother in December of 2004. I hadn't been back home in 12 years but I had to go see her. She was in her eighties, sick and about to pass. She got to see my wife and grandson for the first time. It's a shame I didn't go back earlier.

When I went to the hospital to see her, sad to say, she was so excited to see me she started losing her breath and I was afraid she was gonna die then. Ah, but not grandma, she was a strong woman and heard that my family and I were comin' all the way from Los Angeles to see her. She had to stick around just a bit longer. LOL, grandma smiled and did a 360! She seemed better! She tried to get up out of that Bronx hospital bed. She wanted to cook for us. No, no, no....they laid her back down.

It was so so good to see her after all those years. She felt my pregnant wife's stomach and blessed our baby to herself. I could tell. We left from our two week reunion back to Hollywood. She died a month later.

I didn't go to the funeral. I wanted to see her while she was alive and they all had to honor that.

No comments: